CAMP CHEF PG24 Wood Pellet Grill Review
The Camp Chef PG 24 Pellet Grill offers all the options of the more expensive pellet grills without the hefty price tag. With a cooking temperature up to 500 degrees and an easy to use controller with a digital readout this pellet grill is the perfect model to perfect your barbecue skills and impress your friends and family.
The Camp Chef PG24 Pellet Grill was built for the novice smoker and griller but has all the features for an expert griller as well. Simple cooking features which include a digital temperature readout and internal meat probe. An advanced digital temperature chip gives a more steady smoke and temperature.
Camp Chef PG24 Features
The Camp Chef PG 24 has several great features that make this pellet grill the perfect option for your next home grill purchase.
Easy To Use Controller
The Camp Chef PG24 comes with an easy to use digital controller that has numerous cooking options including high/low smoke, temperature ranges up to 500 degrees farenheit, and a start up and shut down position for easy cleanup and cooking. It has a digital readout where you can see the cooking temperature at all times and a plug to place a meat probe to keep an eye on your internal cooking temperature. A push button changes the digital reading from internal meat temperature to external cooking temperature.
Large Rack Grilling Space
The Camp Chef PG24 has a total rack grilling area of over 560 square inches that is plenty of space to cook all your favorite meals. The main lower are grilling space is composed of 429 square inch while the pellet grill comes equipped with a second upper rack that can fit up to 144 square inches of cooking.
Large Pellet Hopper
The Camp Chef PG 24 comes with a pellet hopper that can hold up to 18 pounds of wood pellets which is adequate for cooking both short term and long term meals. On average a pellet grill will consume between 1/2 lbs and 2 lbs of pelllets per hour depending on the heat setting desired.
Easy To Clean Grease Management System
The Camp Chef PG 24 is designed where any grease during cooking is dropped onto a grease panel which tilts down and drains into an easily removable bucket for easy cleanup. Lining the bucket with tinfoil makes cleanup a snap.
Camp Chef PG 24 Features
- Electronic automatic start ignition to easily heat up and prepare your pellet grill for cooking
- Dual LED temperature readout: internal cooking temps and internal food temps
- Easily to read an use knob to adjust smoke setting or desired cooking temperature
- Digital controls automatically maintain cooking temperatures
- Automatic pellet auger dispenses when needed and shuts down when done
- Stainless steel probe measures internal food temperature
- Built-in sensor gauge reads cooking temperature
- Diverse range of heat for grilling and two settings for smoking (High smoke / Low Smoke)
- Included warming rack provides additional space to cook your favorite foods
- Patented Ash Cup Cleanout System makes cleaning out ash simple
- Grease Management System takes care of grease drippings while cooking
- Pellet Purge system works seamlessly to clean all pellets out if needed
- Large capacity pellet hopper means less filling, more smoking
- Solid, heavy-duty formed lid
- 16″ x 12″ side shelves
Camp Chef PG 24 Specs:
- Grilling Area Dimensions: 19.5″ x 22″
- Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions: 6″ x 24″
- Total Rack Surface Area: 560 sq. in
- Hopper Capacity: 18 lbs. of pellets
- Cooking Height: 32.5″
- Overall weight: 113 lbs.
Camp Chef PG 24 Cooking Test
The cooking process was simple and painless. For our test we prepared a batch of smoked pork ribs. After starting up the pellet grill and adjusting the gauge to low cook we smoked the ribs for approximately 6.5 hours. The result was the ribs were moderately smoked and could easily be peeled off the bone. The hopper was initially filled with mesquite wood pellets and we never had to refill the hopper during cooking and there was plenty of pellets remaining for the next time we needed to grill. Cleanup was simple and we lined the drip pan and drip tray with tinfoil prior to the smoking. This made removing the grease super easy as we just disposed of the tinfoil and were finished.
Overall result. A+++!